Sunday, August 23, 2015

Your choice of words

I recently traveled to a conference and had an amazing experience at the hotel in which I was staying. I arrived after midnight after a long delay at the airport and it took me a while to unwind and get ready to fall asleep. I called down to the lobby and requested a wake-up call in the morning so I made sure I was up for the opening session.

When the phone rang, I was anticipating the traditional wake-up message, "This is your 6:30 a.m. wake-up call."  I was pleasantly surprised to what greeted me when I answered the phone.  The calm voice on the other end said in the most pleasant tone, "Good morning. The sun is shining and it is going to be a great day. Smile and enjoy your day."  What a change from the traditional wake-up call. I laid in bed thinking what a beautiful way to start my day.  It was the same message as the standard wake-up call yet it was more inviting and started my day with a smile.

How are our messages at school perceived? When we are talking with students, is there a way to share the same message just with a different tone, inflection or words?  When we are conversing with our colleagues, is there a different way we can express ourselves, share our thoughts, and enhance our professional relationships?

I know I will be thinking of the lady on the other end of the wake-up message when I am interacting with students, staff and families this year.  Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment