Friday, May 25, 2012

The Power of a Smile


I am sure you have all heard the old saying “It takes 33 muscles to frown and 13 to smile - so why overwork?”  Have you ever noticed when you are feeling down that the best way to cheer yourself up is to make someone else smile?  It’s true - try it!

While I was attending college, there was a guy who I would see almost everyday as I walked to class.  He was somewhat of a hippie.  He had a long, scraggly beard, wore the same shirt, never wore any shoes (no matter the weather - sun, rain, snow… never wore shoes)and ALWAYS wore a sign around his neck that read “SMILE!” I could not walk by this guy without smiling.  No matter the kind of day I was having, no matter what exam or paper I had due, no matter how I felt, this guy always brought a smile to my face.  Just seeing that simple word “SMILE!” made me forget about my worries for a moment and enjoy a smile.

With summer approaching, the days will be longer and we can have lots to do outside.  Sometimes the long days can make it a challenge to always be on our game.  Those are the times that our children need us the most.  They are so perceptive and know when we are up or when we are down.  Those are the times that we need a smile. 

Now I can’t guarantee you that I will walk around barefooted holding a SMILE sign.  However, I know that all it takes is one person to make another person smile and it catches on faster than "summer fever". 

I challenge you to make each child smile at least 3 times a day and make each adult you come in contact with smile at least once a day...  If you do that, you will be smiling as well ALL DAY LONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment